Pages

Monday, January 01, 2007

Another Reason Disc Golf Is a Great Sport

Last week I unfortunately had to travel to my wife's hometown of Parkersburg, WV to attend Grandpa Roy's funeral. Before I left MA, I sent a quick email to Dave Buck and his son John, two golfers I had met at Mountwood Park down there two years ago (we keep in touch with the occassional email). I said I'd be in town for a few days and maybe if I had time we could meet for a round or, at the least, a few minutes to catch up. I figured time would be tight but it was worth a shot.

The next day at the wake, I pass a guy in the lobby who I sort of recognize and we both stop and say, "Hey, are you ...?" Yes, it was my disc golf friend Dave. I couldn't believe he took the time to come to the service and I really appreciated him coming, even though we barely know each other. We chatted a bit about our games before he had to leave and he invited me for a round with John the next day at Forked Run disc golf course in Ohio. Unfortunately family stuff took precedence, so I had to say no. Too bad too, because it turned out to be beautiful warm sunny day.

During the 12-hour drive home yesterday, I thought about what a really nice thing Dave had done and it reaffirmed what I already knew -- disc golf is not only a great sport but is also filled with great people.

No comments: