Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kiddie Depot Kids Love Disc Golf

DDG Board member Dave James recently did a demo for the kids at the Ayer Kiddie Depot, a sponsor of the course. Sounds like he had a great time! Here is his report:
I showed up after getting a reminder of where it was located from a local police officer. Good start. I had two portables with me, a bunch of putters, and a pile of freestyle discs. It was a hot and sunny morning. I did the basic directions in the shade and then we started throwing.

I set up two stations -- a freestyle one where the kids and some of the staff experimented with some spinjammers (easy freestyle disc), and a putting station with two baskets. I went back and forth making helpful comments and after 10 minutes they switched stations. After 10 more minutes, I gave them a choice to repeat the one they liked.

Next we took a short water break so I could set up a two-hole course. The kids ranged from 6-11 years old so the holes were age appropriate. I sent them out in threesomes and they reported their score as they retured.

How quickly they learned to cheer for a birdie, no matter who it was! A few days later I got a very nice thank you card in the mail. I plan on offering this to them again next year.

No comments: