Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

Nut Plays Rindge

Last weekend, Brian McNulty, one of the main driving forces behind Devens Disc Golf course, played his favorite tournament, the NH States at Hunt's Mean 18 in Rindge, NH. This tournament has special meaning to him and in effect to Devens Disc Golf.

Read about how Rindge and Devens are related in Brian's weekend recap:

The story of the DDGC can be traced back to Rindge. In college when Rindge was built I used to play the course when it was open to the public. In fact the only two tournaments I ever went to more than once (I've been to about 20 all together) were Rindge and the Doug Russel's Frozen Fruits Classic. I saw Doug this weekend. My first Rindge tournament was probably around 1993.

No doubt Rindge is a unique place and a great scene. The only reason I go however is because my personal buddy's have attended ever year. Peter Anderson who ran the Rindge operation for 7 years was there and is the conduit between myself and John Borelli. Scott Berman is another person who has not missed a year and is the person who introduced me to the game of disc golf. Without these two people there would be no course on Devens since they enlightened me about the world of disc and helped me start our effort once I moved to Devens.

The best part of the weekend was all the good feedback I heard regarding our course. People seem to really like it. The folks who have played it want come back for another round and the people who haven't had the chance are making plans to try it out. Some even told me they would make their first trip on the day of our first tournament on October 20th. Most notably, Jason Southwick said he's in and I particularly enjoyed speaking with him about our story around the camp fire.

My Rindge weekend started out on Friday when I met Chris "Gags" Gagne for a practice round. I ended up shooting my best score of all time (61) and I was fired up for the tournament. As we all know, many factors come into play during a round and I wasn't able to match that score when it counted, but I do have witnesses.

Of course I recognized many faces from my years at Rindge and saw some familiar faces from the DDGC. Such as Scott Pyle, Bill Bureau, Pete Huck, Mark Mudgett, Scott Leroy, Matty Caruso and others. Also for the first time in my life (the DDGC not withstanding) I've turn on my first person to the game. My buddy Doug Solman made the trip from Portland, ME to check out Rindge. His first game was on Devens back in July. Although he didn't play during the proceedings he did love the Glow Round.

Since this is my first official blog entry (it only took 3 years) I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has helped make Devens a reality. There are lots of reasons why I love our course but certainly one of them is because it's very similar to Rindge.


Nut
Resident & Founder

No comments: