Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Speedy run through

Rob, Pete, and I had a practice Speed round last night to finalize the rules and get a general idea of how things should work. Let me just say that damn, this is going to be a lot of fun!

With Marcy timing and Dave and his daughter cheering us on, we sped through the four holes. I went first and chucked a beautiful shot down hole 13; however, I took off running and forgot to watch where it went! And then there was the foxhole I fell into that sent me ass-over-tea-kettle, much to the amusement of the galley!

In between all the laughter, Dave shouted out where it had gone and I found my disc after a valuable 10 seconds had ticked off the clock. Total time for hole 1 was about 45 seconds.

Next I jogged up to tee 14 and heard the plonk of Rob's disc hitting a tree on 13. I set myself and launched a beauty up the Hill -- this time watching where it went before I took off after it. My legs were already feeling like tree trunks as I hustled after my shot. I made my approach and heard Rob yell "Fore" as I missed my putt and settled for a 4.

I headed to 15 sucking wind pretty good, but still moving. I threw a laser to basket 9 and it skipped past the basket. I ran down, missed the chippy putt and moved on with a disappointing 3. Rob was nowhere to be seen, but honestly, I don't remember much after my wipeout on the first hole -- I was on automatic drive.

On the way over to tee 10 I saw a crushed Dunkins paper cup on the ground and fought the urge to stop and pick it up. Once on the tee pad, I set myself and float a beauty down the hill that lands about 20 ft above the basket. I really don't remember running down the Hill.

I hear Marcy yelling something over at the finish line but can't waste any energy deciphering it. I nail the putt for a bird, run down to the basket, grab my disc, and sprint to the finish line at tee 11. Done and still alive at just over 4 minutes! I drop my discs and flop to the ground ready to explode. Damn, I am old.

Rob is close on my heels and ends up beating me by a few seconds. Pete, however, crushes us both by over 25 seconds with a 3:43.

The big question is what will early favorite Donnie Disc Golf shoot? He is clearly the man to beat, but one bad kick can change everything.

See you Saturday!

2 comments:

ESMom said...

Awesome play by play! I was laughing to tears reading the recap! Now I know why you are a writer!

DiscGolfDonnie said...

Thanks for the update and play-by-play. I have been thinking under 4:00 so there you go...a low time to beat. 3:43 could hold up of course...